During the decades of the Turkish occupation of Buda, the ancient capital city of Hungary, Pozsony (Pressburg) was the capital, and the crowning city of the Kingdom of Hungary (between 1563 and 1830). Its status was accordingly high during the period of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Even if it was no longer a capital, it was an extremely important administrative center, militarily significant: with division and corps commands There are two badges showing the view of the city, which can be seen from the village of Pozsony-Ligetfalu on the right bank of the Danube. Two major buildings are on the front. First and foremost, the castle, whose image shows the unrestored state after the 1811 fire at the time of the badges were made. The collapsed slabs and roof were restored only in 1968 to mark the 50th anniversary of the creation of the Czechoslovak state. The other highly visible object is the Gothic Cathedral of St. Martin, the coronation church in the city under the castle. After continuous transformations, it was finished in its present form after the renovation in 1895. The Neo-Gothic tower is 85 meters high and at its peak a large replica of the holy crown of the Hungarian kings was placed.
The first of two badges showing the cityscape is the city’s home regiment, the k.u.k 72nd Infantry Regiment’s badge. The main figure of the badge is a soldier with a full assault gear (helmet, hand grenade-bearing sacks, assault knife) who leans on the city’s coat of arms. Below is a trilingual inspirational inscription. The reclining oval-shaped badge is of the 15th fortress artillery battalion of the city. In its foreground we can see the monarchy’s famous and enemy-feared 30.5-inch mortar.