The clock tower of the city of Graz is one of the hallmarks of the city. Its origins date back to the 13th century, when the first fortifications appeared on the castle hill. The tower is first mentioned in 1265. The first clock mechanism was installed in the tower in 1569. The wooden corridor above the clockwork was a fire monitor. Behind the clock hands, the dial is five meters in diameter. It is interesting that here the large hand indicates the hours and the small hand the minutes.
Graz was an important administrative and military center. It is still the capital of the Styrian province today. The most important city in southern Austria. During the Great War, division and corps headquarters also operated in the city. The insignia decorated with the clock tower belongs to the 6th division. At the beginning of the Great War, the 7th and 17th infantry regiments, the 2nd Bosnian regiment and several fighter battalions were assigned to the division.