The recruitment area of the 9th Infantry Regiment lay in Galicia, south of Lemberg. Stryj was the center where the regiment’s cadre was stationed. The regiment command was in Przemysl. The 9th regiment consisted of Ruthenian and Polish soldiers. The area of East Galicia was occupied early in the war by the Russians. Therefore, in 1914-15, the crew of the regiment was certainly amended with soldiers from other areas. Thus, it is possible that a large number of buttonhole badges with the number of the regiment occur in Hungary. These must have been made by a comrade’s association after the war.
The regimental badge depicts rays of sunshine popping up from behind a cloud in the background of the regiment’s number. Two assault soldiers can be seen on both sides with bags on their shoulders for hand grenades. They have two grenades in their hands. The interesting thing about the badge is the early grenade. In 1917, when the badge was made this round head early type was no longer in use. Instead, the “corn” grenade with the notched explosive body, and the hand grenade with handle was applied. Both had cylindrical bodies. Due to the high demand and limited supply „on site” production of grenades also started. The Lakos grenade was made of steel construction tubes filled with explosives. The equipment of the assault troops was complemented by the helmet, which is also clearly visible on the badge.