Towards the end of 1914 the monarch’s portrait could already be worn on the left side of the field cap as an authorized cap badge. At that time, of course, this still referred to the portrait of Franz Josef 1, a Kappenabzeichen produced by the Marschall company. From 1917, an insignia with a completely similar style to the previous one, but depicting Emperor Karl, appeared.
The wearing photo is one of the many in which the monarch’s portrait can be seen very clearly and recognizably. The cap badge attached to the post is rather rare, the laurel wreath of the badge has been lacquered in gold.