M1895 Mannlicher Rifle. This weapon was produced in the Monarchy in largest number in Steyr (OEWG) and Budapest (FÉG). It featured a straight pull, that is, after a shot was fired, the empty ammunition sleeve was pulled out without turning the gun lock when the lock handle was pulled back. When the lock was pushed forward, the next projectile was loaded from the magazine containing 5 rounds of ammunition. When the last cartridge was loaded, the empty barrel was removed by the weapon lock, indicating that a new barrel was required. This was loaded from the top of the lock.
The M95 was a precisely structured weapon that however did not withstand extreme weather, dirt and lack of maintenance. That is why eyewitness accounts often mention abandoned weapons. Such recollections can already be read in connection with the first battles of the war, for example in the sandy-dusty dry terrain of Galicia. The Mannlicher was a relatively accurate weapon. It was also used as a sniper rifle.
Its caliber was 8×50 mm, the ammunition sleeve was flanged. Length 1272 mm, the cavalry and pioneer troops were equipped with a 1000 mm version. The tube lengths were 765 and 500 millimeters, respectively. A 247 mm blade bayonet could also be attached for melee combat. The loading cartridges with the projectiles could be placed in leather cases that could be attached to the waist belt.
Mannlicher was the basic firearm of the Monarchy’s military forces. Nothing special, maybe that’s why so few cap badges were made depicting the gun.