The 84th Infantry Regiment was founded in 1882 as part of the armed force development program. It was formed from the battalions of the 4, 14, 49 and 59 infantry regiments. Its recruitment area became Wiener Neustadt and its surroundings. In addition to the cadre operating in this town, the other battalions of the regiment were initially stationed in Vienna, then in Mostar and later in Krems. Field marshal Arthur Bolfras became the owner of the regiment in 1900. From then on, the 84th Regiment was in the public consciousness as the “Bolfras Regiment.””
In the Great War, they fought in the 25th division, mostly on the Eastern Front. One of their most memorable battles was at Sapanów between June 4 and 8, 1916. The regiment played an important role in the slowing of the Russians invading Bukovina in the Brusilov offensive. According to the descriptions, the II and VI battalion then halted the Russian steamroller for days at the cost of their complete crumbling and prevented the breakthrough, the capture of Lemberg. June 7 became the regiment’s memorial day. According to a report on the website of the 84th traditionalists, the regiment lost 422 officers and 12,070 soldiers in the Great War.
The 84th Regiment has many memories. Perhaps the most successful of its various Kappenabzeichen is presented in this post. It was made by the Schneider brothers in Vienna. This type, as well as two others, were made in several material variants (including silver plates). The Bolfras regiment’s postcards are colorful prints, just like the one shown here. The posted material is complemented by a letter closing that depicts the cap badge.