Founded in 1696, the 4th Deutschmeister Infantry Regiment had perhaps the longest tradition in the Monarchy. It was named after the official title of the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order (Hoch- und Deutschmeister). The Grand Master was the founder of the regiment, and later the regiment owner had always been the Grand Master of the Order, last Archduke Eugen. After the founding of the regiment, it was already involved in the war against the Turks. It excelled for example in the battle of Zenta on September 11, 1697. After that, the regiment was involved in every major war of the Monarchy. In the Great War, it was Vienna’s house regiment. In downtown Vienna, a square was named after the regiment. In 1906, a monument was erected in honor of the regiment.
The main motif of the regimental badge is the image of the Cross of the Teutonic Order. Details of the history of the Teutonic Order can be found here. The Kappenabzeichen also includes the year the regiment was founded and the name of the regiment.